It is important to dispose of old PC equipment suitably - as it is possible for persons to recover confidential data from a machine even if this data has been deleted
How do I dispose of my old PC?
If you have a machine you no longer require and would like to dispose of it...
- Notify the Business Automation team of this by lodging a new helpdesk request
- Include the serial number of the machine you wish to dispose of
- The machine will be deactivated and the monthly fees removed from your account.
- You will be notified when this has been completed.
Once you are notified the machine has been deactivated...
- Return the machine to:
UBT Business Automation, 43 Heads Rd, Wanganui. Attn: Workshop
Include a note requesting safe disposal and data destruction
- Safely dispose of the machine yourself by damaging the Data Storage drive (HDD - Hard Drive) . The HDD is located inside the machine - if you are not 100% sure what to take out and damage, please seek help. The simplest method is to remove the drive and smash it thoroughly with a hammer.
- Drop the machine at your local refuse station.
It is imperative that the Data Drive (HDD) is made unrecoverable.