If you’re having a problem with your Surface Pro device, the 2 button Shutdown may help!
Sometimes a machine really just needs a good restart, but the normal 'restart' method does not always quite do it properly. There’s a more complete way to shut the machine down, which Microsoft calls the “two-button shutdown,” and it can definitely solve some issues such as connection with external devices (monitors and docks).
Here's how to do a "two-button Shutdown"
Firstly try these steps...
- Shut down the Surface tablet normally using the power option in your Windows menu. Do not just push the power button. It will only go to sleep mode. Wait until the device shuts down.
- If you cannot shut down your Surface, press the power button once to switch the screen off. Then hold the power button down for 30 seconds.
The "Two Button Shutdown"
- Push and hold the 'Volume Up' Button and 'Power' Button simultaneously.
- Hold it down for 20 seconds no matter what happens and then release both.
- The Surface might blink or show the logo or it might do nothing. You might see the BIOS settings come up.
- Release the buttons, and let the machine sit for at least 10 seconds.
- Turn the Surface back on normally
Please note, this start up may take longer than normal.
If this does not resolve your issue - please open a new helpdesk request, and our support team will be in touch!