SyncToy is a program that will copy your files from your computer to an external hard drive. Then when you run the program, it only searches for anything that has changed on your laptop since last time you did it and updates your hard drive with the changes to match i.e. New files, changed filed, deleted files, without having to copy the whole lot over again. This process is very quick and easy once setup. The Left Folder is generally your computer, and the Right Folder is generally your back up drive.
- Download SyncToy from the link below (ending in _x64) and Install the program on your computer
- You may also need to download and install the below
- Connect your external Hard Drive to your computer.
- On your computer, locate your external Hard Drive under “This PC”, create a new Folder on this called Backups. Within that folder, also create additional folders named Documents, Music, Pictures, Videos
- On your computer open the SyncToy program
- Click Create New Folder Pair
- On the next screen, select Browse, then locate your Documents folder on your computer and click OK.
- Next select Browse and select your new backup folder on your Hard drive, and click OK.
- Click Next >
- Click Echo, then Next >
- Give your backup a name e.g. Documents Backup
NOTE: The backup will only work when the drive letter of the external hard drive under “This PC” is the same as the one when you set it up. In this example mine is (E:). If for some reason the letter of your backup drive changes when you plug it in, you will need to complete the above process again.
- Repeat the above for your other folders i.e. Videos, Pics, Music.
Running the Backup
- Click on Start and open the SyncToy program (might need to search)
- Click on the backup that you want to run, then click Preview. This will scan all your files and give you a list of files changed since list time that it will update. The first time you run this it will copy the entire contents and take some time.
NOTE: Ensure all programs (including Outlook) are closed for this to backup everything.
- Click Run, this will complete the backup.
- Repeat the above for the other backups.
- When finished remember to Safely Remove Hardware before removing your hard drive.